Roasted Winter Vegetable & Chestnut Soup
There are few things more comforting on a cold day than a steaming hot bowl of soup. Easy to make, nutritious and bursting with earthy flavours this decadent variation of a classic, brought to you by The OakTree, is perfect as a Christmas starter or as a luxurious lunch. Make it at home or order it from The OakTree Christmas Menu until the 24th December. The OakTree is a vegetarian restaurant, also specialising in vegan cuisine, owned by passionate vegans and animal lovers Samantha and James Anderson.
Ingredients: (Serves 4-6)
1 sweet potato
1 butternut squash
1 large onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 pack of chestnuts
Salt and pepper to taste
1 litre good quality gluten free and vegan vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Coarsely chop the vegetables and place in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Place on a baking sheet or in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from the oven, place in a saucepan along with chestnuts, discard the extra oil and add the vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender, puree soup until smooth.